Top Ways to Detox Your Body
Detox diets have been practiced for centuries in numerous counties.
The foundation of a body cleanse is said to stem from the Greek and Ancient Egyptian knowledge of autointoxication, which is a state of being poisoned by toxic substances produced within the body. Moreover, the humoral theory of health was also practiced (the four humours can putrefy and produce toxins that harm the body).
Traditional Chinese medicine and Hindu Ayurveda healing methods also practice body detox by nourishing, cleansing and resting the body when needed. The methods include eliminating the body of toxins then nourishing the body with healthy nutrients. In truth, many cultures believe that a body detox can prevent diseases and revitalize your ability to maintain optimum health.
How a Body Detox Works
However, when you detox the body, toxins are also eliminated through the kidneys, lungs, lymph nodes, skin and intestines.
A detox diet can assist with various types of cleansing:
- Improve blood circulation
- Remove toxins from the liver
- Rest vital organs through fasting
- Replenish your body with healthy nutrients
- Promote elimination through the skin, kidneys and intestines
Do You Need to Detox Your Body?
However, many experts agree that children, nursing mothers and people with chronic diseases like cancer should sustain from detoxing altogether.
If at any time you are unsure about a body detox, consult a qualified health specialist to get a professional opinion.
Numerous experts agree that a body detox is critical for maintaining health, especially since there are more toxins in our environment than ever.
Moreover, many health specialists agree that your body probably needs a detox if you have these symptoms:
- Skin issues
- Slow elimination
- Minor infections
- Unexplained fatigue
- Menstrual difficulties
- Problems with mental clarity
- Puffy eyes or bags under the eyes
Starting a Detox Diet
To begin with, you need to get rid of foods that are toxic to the body such as coffee, refined sugars, alcohol, cigarettes and foods with additives and preservatives. As well, eliminate all chemical cleaners and toxic beauty care products; replace them with items that are toxic-free. Here are a few non-toxic examples:
Additionally, you need to reduce stress levels. According many health professionals, chronic stress can put your health at risk plus release negative stress hormones into your system (Mayo Clinic).
Some of the best ways to reduce stress is through physical and mental exercises such as Yoga, meditation, walking and T’ai Chi.
The Ideal Detox Diet
Most detox diets follow a 3-7 day regime for optimum results.
Rendering Linda Page, ND, PhD (a naturopathic doctor, author, and educator) an effective way to release toxins is with a 3-7 day juice fast that includes fresh fruit and vegetable juices and water.
One of the most beneficial detox diets is a Liver and Kidney cleanse since most toxins build up in the liver and kidneys.
Here are more common detox cleanses:
Follow-up with a Healthy Diet
I personally eat 100% organic and non-GMO foods. As well, I try to buy local products from organic farmers whenever possible.
Here are a few suggestions for a healthy diet that can help with a simple daily detox:
Consume plenty of fiber such as organically grown fruits and vegetables, grains and nuts. Prime detox foods include brown rice, broccoli, cabbage, beets, seaweed, chlorella and spirulina.
- Drink from 6-8 cups of Filtered Water daily.
- Convert negative stress to positive emotions.
- Take a sauna to help eliminate toxins from your body.
- Do Deep Breathing Exercises to allow oxygen to circulate better throughout your system.
- Make hydrotherapy a daily routine by a 5 minute hot shower followed by a 30 second cold one.
- Get sufficient amount of vitamin C, it assists with eliminating toxins from the liver and other organs.
- Cleanse and safeguard the liver and kidneys with beneficial herbs like dandelion root, milk thistle, burdock and Green Tea
- Don’t forget to exercise every day. Exercises that help cleanse the body are Yoga, T’ai Chi, walking and swimming (un-chlorinated pool).
- Dry Brush your skin, it helps help remove toxins through your pores. You can find special brushes online or at health food stores.
Special Note: Always consult a qualified healthcare specialist before using any treatment such as a detox diet. This includes natural remedies and herbal teas or supplements. Additionally, the information in this article is not intended as medical advice; it is for educational purposes only.
Detox smoothies: Livin’ Spoonful via photopin cc
Stress free sign: thornypup via photopin cc
Lemons in bowl: LollyKnit via photopin cc
Tired and exhausted woman: jazbeck via photopin cc
Milk thistle: prayerfriends via photopin cc
Person meditating: patriziasoliani via photopin cc